It seems as though my RKC stuff is popular. Either that or I rather enjoy posting about them. It's kind of funny because I had not specifically intended to blog about them, but I like doing so. It is possible that when I get to the point where I am moving children out into new homes and marrying them off and such I will move the RKC somewhere else and just do highlights here. This is bound to become a very large thing with many pictures and tons of tales.
Also I've been rather irritated with the goals and desires of my under noble status sims. While I understand that there are certain things that merchants and peasants didn't have, they had other things to make up for it. For instance, although they didn't have minstrels and bards inside their homes, they would go to festivals and hear music there. While they didn't specifically have "paintings" and artwork in their homes they had something to decorate with, right? I've been told that the point of the RKC in a lot of ways is to make sims miserable, because peasants were miserable, but I have a hard time with that. I mean, because of the way the sims work if they get none of their wants and desires then they get what... into the red and have the shrink come out to them. (This has happened in week two of one of my homes now.) I had a LOT of randomly rolled pleasure and romance sims. I know that I don't get to choose their LTW and if it's out of their means then I simply can't do it, and I'm okay with that, but what about their daily wants?
What do people do to counteract this? It's actually making it so I'm not having a lot of fun overall. I don't want to add a bunch of stuff to my game, and I've already made the decision that I'm not going to overly worry about the decorations (or every single one of my sims family homes will look the same, at this point you must have noticed that I have 2 tubs, 2 toilets and 3 sinks or something like that) when it comes to Noble and Royal homes. I have a lot of beautiful stuff in my game and I'd like to use them. (elven arches and windows created using the ideas from LotR movies. There's a whole bedroom set and I think some bathroom stuff too.)
I have been enjoying the game, and the idea, but when I have a sim and he's barely in the green and all he wants is to: buy electronic equipment, buy a stereo, buy a painting worth 1,000, buy a television, then I get really irritated. I can't buy him any of that stuff, he's almost in the red and the wants don't flip quickly enough. Maybe I should just wait and see how the next generation goes.
Okay, so we're finally on to the actual update on the RKC. Let's welcome the Potters:
Here we have the Potter family, and another Cameo. You probably already guessed it since Ginny came over to visit the Luminate family, but yes, this is Harry and Ginny Potter. It's terrible of me I know but I knew the other merchant family was going to be Potter and for some reason (Can't imagine why *looks sidelong*) I can't think the last name Potter and not think Harry Potter. (I am a pretty big Harry Potter fan, although I would pretty much like to ignore the whole last book.)
Anyhow both of my roommates were horrified that I'd put Harry with Ginny (*laughs uproariously*) but as I explained, my Merchants all have red hair, and I couldn't imagine Harry with any other female but Ginny if there was red hair involved. Besides which, their personalities are nothing like what I would have done had I actually been trying to make Harry and Ginny Potter from the books. (I randomly rolled everything from personality to interests to type of sim.)
On Monday I got right to business with them. I'd had a warm up with the Smith family so I knew I wanted to really get to work on the Potters. Therefore I made their house and I started the business right away. Also got Ginny pregnant, as you can see, and got both of them to work on their pottery wheels.
On Tuesday is when Ginny showed she was pregnant and I got started placing things up on their business side. Let me explain a little bit of how their house works.
As you can see from this picture there's a large business room. That is also the front door, and you can see a side door that leads to the kitchen/dining area. On the wall across from the front door are a couple of rooms, those are bathrooms for customers. The kitchen/dining room is locked for only family and employee's. This is also where the pottery wheels are. Further down that wall is another door, which is locked for only family. Past that door is a set of stairs that leads up to the main living area. The phone and bedrooms and such are all past that door. I had in mind the idea of an old fashioned family business where the family lived above the business, only employee's would have to have an area for breaks so that's why the kitchen/dining is downstairs.
Wednesday I had them stock up the store and open it. They ran almost completely out of stock the first day, of which I was very proud. That made me really happy over all, and so I got them started again to make up the difference.
On Thursday Ginny gave birth to a bouncing baby boy! Welcome Ronald into the family! (I know, it should have been James, but I just didn't feel like it since I thought I already had a James in the neighborhood somewhere. I do, James Hengre the Noble.)
I am REALLY glad I made their baby room different from the others. I'd had so much the same that I wanted to scream, so I gave them the super adorable baby baskets. Also, I wanted to be prepared for anything, including toddlers and babys in one house so I gave two baby baskets. One for a boy, one for a girl. I'm really, really pleased.
On Friday I opened the business and quite idiotically did not take any pictures of Ginny getting her hands wet out there. I had Harry talking to people and restocking and then took Ginny out to do sales and ringing people up at the same time. I wanted to be able to have either one of them out there managing the floor if I could, since sometimes Harry would just get moody. (sims, who can fathom the deep depressions of their AI minds?)
On Saturday I restocked the whole place, made a lot of pottery things, and drove Ginny and Harry both crazy with it.
Sunday came, and it's time for Ronald to become a toddler. Look, it's day time and Ginny is Helping with Birthday.
Look, it's nighttime and Ronald is finally a toddler! I hate that whole system. The baby to toddler thing is a pain. In the houses where I buy birthday cakes I'm keeping track of how many birthday cakes it takes for a baby to become a toddler. General going rate is 3, which is 90 simolians, and if you have 3 or 4 children that's 270 to 360 simolians just on cake. For one family. I've been debating sending them money from the king as birthday presents to cover it. *sigh*
First thing Ronald needed was to go potty. That makes perfect sense, as you can see, Ginny needed a bath, but for hours she was stuck holding Ronald waiting for him to grow up. She was a good mommy though, and helped him potty train before taking a bath.
I also opened the shop on Sunday. Gave Harry the chance to make some money, get some badges (I wished anyway, didn't happen this week.), get used to the whole running a business thing. I have found that I enjoy running businesses, and I'd like to have them under enough control that I can have some families with more than one business. That would be very cool.
And that would be that for week one! All the fun and antics to the Potter household. Cute little Ron~wan and Gin, and Harry. *laughs* One more to go and it will be time to flip around and see the King and Queen again, and their new home! :D
It's too bad about the other James, or they could have been James and Lily Potter and you could have had an extra generation of names. Okay one name.
ReplyDeleteFine. Still. Ginny?
Anyway, as to your problems, I suspect this is a better challenge for people who enjoy miserable dying sims.
I know, I know, Ginny is bad, I should have used Luna or something. But yes, it's Ginny. :P I get it from everyone.
ReplyDeleteI suspect it is a better challenge for people who enjoy miserable dying sims, and I suspect that's also why it's hard for people to keep playing past the first gen or so. Since the most important thing is for me to have fun though I'm thinking of altering the rules to something I think I can stand and sticking to them. I'm not playing for points anyway, just playing to have fun.