Last night I had a fantastic time at ZombieCon 2011. This is a huge deal because they were trying to break the Guinness Book of World Records for most zombies in one place. I was registered for it, so if we made it then my name is down. I think that at least half the fun of the event was the getting ready for it event.
There were five of us in an apartment all trying to get ready at the same time. Make up was everywhere, I chased a little kitten, and a happy go lucky dog kept jumping around us. There was blood all over the shower and one of the participants even scared the crap out of his neighbor.
For those that don't know, ZombieCon is a newer event, I think this was the fifth year of it and they had unofficially broken the record last year, so they were certain they'd do it this year. Camera crews were out and taking film of all of us crammed like sardines in the street. I have been kicked, stepped on, pushed, poked, elbowed and knocked into more times in this single night than I have in the rest of my 31 years.
There were several people walking around with megaphones, but I would like to suggest to them that next year they either get better one's or invest in a speaker system because no one could hear what was said, even when they walked so close you could touch them. Much of the event was standing around in the Red Zone waiting for something to happen. Several booths were open and there was also shops for people to go to, thank you to the pie place with the fabulous Cuban sandwiches, I will never forget you!
ZombieCon Website
I arrived at the apartment a little after 6 or so and it took until about 8 maybe for us to actually all be done and leaving. Then we registered, mingled, took pictures and waited. Finally the wait was over and we ate, mingled some more, took more pictures, mourned our loss of pictures (voodoo man I'm still thinking of you) and finally left. There was not a whole lot to do if you didn't have money or if you didn't want to drink. I think however that the event will get bigger as the years go by, if the amount of people and smiling faces are anything to go by.
My whole picture list is here: My Zombie Pics But I'll do some highlights.
This is Rachel and Bob. Rachel and Bob were the first to really do their make up. Bob got his roommate Jen to put a head wound on him. It was done with a Publix plastic bag and some spirit gum. The only missing ingredient? Blood. That's where the bag and the shower come in. Rachel had gotten some fake blood and someone put it in a bag with a hole so she could squeeze the blood out onto his head. The blood went everywhere, his head, his face, his beard, his shirt. Finally he took the bag and pressed it so it would "spray" all over his face.
This would be what happened when he did that. By the end of the night the shower looked like someone had been killed in it. There was blood everywhere, the tub, the walls, even the mop and soap did not get away from being bloodied.
If this man showed up at your door what would you do? If you were his neighbor you'd ask if everything was alright, begin freaking out and suggest calling 911. Of course, if you were his neighbor you'd realize that when the words ZombieCon left this man's lips, it was safe to relax, there was no real trauma.
Rachel having an after dinner smoke. What did she eat? Well... it's best if you don't ask.
This is Jen. I like to think of her as the "Goddess Zombie". I want her dress, even if I would not fit in it.
Introducing Mike, Zombie Pope of the evening. He turned out well, didn't he?
The final Rachel product, hair and shirt all bloodied up.
This is Rachel... coming after me. I refused to allow the blood to get on my clothes because we weren't sure if it would wash off. Instead I had a long drip coming down from my eye. Half of the red around my eyes was natural. Rachel put the white on my face and the underside of my eyes got bright red which meant we had to make that more bold and this was the finished product.
The actual Con was something like this. Large amounts of zombies followed by large amounts of normal looking people. I rather suck at taking pictures, which is why I didn't really want to be the one doing it, but the camera was mine, and I don't know how much better at it anyone would have been. There were so many people, so many things happening, and you'd click to take a pic, but by the time it took the picture you'd have something completely different from what you'd been trying for.
There were some real gems though. Like this one. There were three of them in the Star Trek outfits. Fantastic!
And these guys. Santa and Mrs. Klaus? Awesome! Plus the bag of toys for good little zombies? Ingenious. I was very impressed.
"Hey you guuyyyys!"
No one is safe, not even Storm Troopers.
Apparently not even Jack Sparrow.
Thank you sir for the fantastic Cuban sandwiches. May you never go out of business because then I won't be able to eat them anymore. <3
It was a fantastic night, filled with fantastic people and I met many new people, made some new friends, and took a ton of pictures, half of which aren't really that good, but all of which remind me of the fun I had. Thank you everyone for such a great time.
No comments:
Post a Comment